About Us - Why Us » Our History
Kilby Fox are one of the longest established firms of accountants in Northampton and can trace our roots back over 100 years.
The firm was started by Fred Kilby, who qualified in 1899, and started in practice shortly after, at 12 Guildhall Road, Northampton. The premise has since been demolished to make room for the County Hall.
In 1908 the practice moved to 6 The Parade, Northampton. In 1910 it moved to Drury Chambers, Market Square, Northampton which the firm occupied until the 1960’s when it moved to St Martins House, 43/44 Billing Road, Northampton.
Wilfred Fox joined the firm as an Articled Clerk in 1919, the same year in which Fred Kilby was Mayor of Northampton. Wilfred Fox became a partner in 1931 and the firm became known as Kilby and Fox.
The firm had a number of partnership changes over the years and for a period of time was merged with Ellacott Stranks & Co. The firm also merged at about the same time with the Northampton practices of Stewart & Co, Cairns Lenton & Co, Dutton & Co and A L Peatman & Co.
In 1985 the Northampton partners Clive Adkins, Chris Beavan, Stephen Blyth and Lee Woolerton demerged the firm from Ellacott Stranks & Co and re-established the firm as Kilby Fox & Co. David Ward joined the partnership at the time of the demerger and Stephen Blyth retired from the partnership in 1990. More recently the firms name was shortened to Kilby Fox.
With the dawn of the new millennium it became increasingly apparent that the old St Martins House building could no longer meet the demands of a modern practice. In 2004 the firm moved to a new, purpose built office at 4 Pavilion Court, 600 Pavilion Drive, Northampton Business Park.
With the fresh new building, the partnership bade farewell to David Ward who decided to retire in October 2004 and welcomed Nick Maisey and Philip Beavan as they became partners in November 2004.
In April 2007, Philip Beavan left the partnership to set up his own business in Kent.
2009 saw Kilby Fox rebrand to encompass a more modern style and approach to business in the town, although the name remains the same, the image and new colours are bright and modern and very in-keeping with the times.
With a new look and fresh ideas, the partnership had yet another restructure, Lee Woolerton decided to take early retirement from the practice in March 2011 after 28 years as a partner.
Then in May 2011, the Kilby Fox team welcomed Gary Woodhall as a new partner to the practice.
In May 2013, Gary Woodhall left the firm, and in May 2015 Frances Tebbut joined Clive Adkins, Chris Beavan and Nick Maisey as partner.